(several passages taken from a manuscript written circa 1972)
The Monadnock Rod & Gun Club, Inc., was founded in January 1947, with about a
dozen charter members, but as the original charter has been lost through the
years, their exact number and names are not presently available. The club
has a dual purpose, social and sports. The first meeting was held on
January 20, that year, at which Rufus S. Fenerty, III, William Smith, and Dana
Perry, Jr., were named a committee to draw up the By laws for presentation at
the first regular meeting, January 30, 1947. At the latter meeting the
By-Laws were approved and accepted and the club's first officers were elected.
With the newly formed club thus organized there ensued no lack of interest and
by the February 15, 1947 meeting the total paid members had reached 192, with
two honorary members and three minors. The membership in the club has been
open to women as well from the very start. The rapid and spontaneous growth
of the club was probably due to a combination of post-War enthusiasm combined with explosive economic opportunity afforded by GI loans, the new familiarity for some with firearms, and of course the beautiful settting of the Club with the stream running through it. From its very beginning
the club main interest has centered about the improvement of fish and game
conditions, and working in close affiliation with Conservation Officers in the
area. Fish, especially bass and trout, have been stocked in various
streams and ponds, pheasant chicks have been released from time to time, always
with the assistance of those in higher authority, State and Federal.
the time the club had been in existence for three months, a movement was started
to locate a suitable site and in June, 1947, a member was named to investigate
the procurement of a suitable piece of land. That month the members
started a building fund under the immediate direction of a nine-man committee.
Donations from all local businessmen were solicited, and for many years the club
added monies as its finances permitted. Turkey raffles and other features
were held as fund-raising activities. In the meantime, through the good will of a local landowner, the land on which the Club currently sits, was used as a firearms and cannon range, archery practice area, and stream fishing was done throughout. In January 1948, a member was named
chairman of the Building Fund Committee. Offers of land sites were
received from D.D. Bean and local townspeople.
addition to the club's immediate interests, social and sports, it developed
an early an interest in providing activities for the children of the town.
One of the earliest of these was the sending of a Jaffrey boy and girl to the
Conservation Camp. After the opening of the trout season the club
held a fishing derby for the children at their privately stocked pond at their
recreation area. Other events for children sponsored by the club included
trips to ball games, etc.
The club was incorporated under the laws of the State of New Hampshire in 1949,
and two years later it started holding its meetings at the Monadnock Rod & Gun
Club building at 22 Peterborough Street. This is the social club that was
privately operated by a local citizen.
1963 the Monadnock Rod & Gun Club formalized the Club's location by purchasing the thirty-five acres of land that it had been operating from. This tract of land is located
just over the line from Jaffrey into Peterborough and has been and continues to be developed
extensively through the hard work of club members. An additional parcel of property some 30 acres plus was added in the fall of 2015. A trout pond was built and is surrounded by a grassy picnic area. There is a firearms and trap shooting range, horseshoe
pits, trails for conducting field dog trials, a 30 plus target 3D archery course where hundreds of competitions have been held throughout the years, a cannon and mortar range
upon which the annual New Hampshire Championship Cannon shoot was held, and in
1971 a kitchen and a men's restroom and women's restroom were added along with a 40-foot flag pole and 70 foot by 30 foot open-sided grand pavilion with fire pit which added
distinction to the recreation area.